Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Reasons to believe

I was watching God's Army the other night at my mom's house. I've seen it before but this time I noticed something that made me think.

There is a part where one of the missionaries is bearing his testimony. He said that he had already been baptized before he found out that black men couldn't hold the priesthood until the '70's. (he was black) He said that it really threw him for a loop.

Then he said that he thought God gave us a hundred reasons to believe and a few reasons NOT to believe, so that we had a choice.

Over the years I have read and heard a number of things that threw me for a loop as well. But when I stopped to ponder them and pray about them, they didn't really matter. I can see how someone would choose not to believe because of them if they didn't have a testimony. But I know the the Book of Mormon is the Word of God and that Joseph Smith is a prophet of God who translated the book. Nothing else really matters. The Spirit bore witness of these truths and I can never deny them. There is great comfort and security in having a witness from the Holy Spirit.

I thank Heavenly Father every day for His gospel and that I have it in my life.

2 comments:

  1. I just re-read this... I had that same issue with something Matt and I were reading in the D & C. When I prayed about it, the feeling I got totally erased my anger and helped me understand that what happened had and has nothing to do with me and it's not something I need to worry about. Still feel that way. I love prayer.

    ReplyDelete