Friday, January 8, 2010

one month...

My mom and I decided to read the Book of Mormon completely during the month of January. I have done this one other time and enjoyed it.
I find that by reading for so long every day, it helps me focus better. I read 17+ pages per day. It takes me about 45 minutes or so.
I feel like I really get a lot out of what I'm reading this way. I wouldn't do this every month but occasionally it's good. I can get the whole picture and seem to grasp the time lines and everything better.
It seems like when I read only one chapter a day I'm just trying to get to the end and I forget by the next night what I have read. Almost like it wasn't enough to soak in.
Also, reading that long gives the Holy Spirit a chance to settle in my heart. I'm not so rushed.
When we had the missionaries over for dinner last week they said that Elder Bednar told them that if they read the Book of Mormon every day they would never lose their testimonies and they would get all the answers they were seeking. That's a great promise. I have felt more conviction in the last week than I have in a long time. I had forgotten what that felt like. I remember feeling this way in high school going to seminary every morning. I needed it just like I need it now.
I'm so grateful for the new curriculum this year. Getting back to the basics. We all need that.

2 comments:

  1. I so agree with you on the new curriculum! I have to read it on my own time due to nursery, but I'm really looking forward to it. And go you on that reading goal! I should do that... I feel the way you do lately, just trying to get through it. But I love what Elder Bednar said - I'll have to write that down or something. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete